Robot Modeling and Control
Gives the fundamental theory of modeling and control design for robots, especially industrial manipulators.
ContentsThe course includes:
- Robot modeling
- Path and trajectory planning
- Robot control
- PID-based control
- Computed torque
- Adaptive control
- Force control
- Vision based control
- Tools (such as Robotics Toolbox, Modelica, Mathematica, RobotStudio)
- Programming in Rapid (ABB's language for robot programming)
CreditsThe course gives 6hp (you can receive an additional 3hp by carrying out a project).
To apply the theory from the lectures in practice you will solve two home assignments and do one lab on the robot in the research lab (the lab can be replaced by a RobotStudio project if the lab robot is out of service). The first home assignments include to
- Find a robot to model and control
- Make a model of the robot
- Find a controller for the model
- Simulate the robot and the controller
LitteratureMany books have been written about robot modeling and control. The following books covers the material in the course.
- M.W. Spong, S. Hutchinson and M. Vidyasagar: Robot Modeling and Control
- L. Sciavicco and B. Siciliano: Modelling and Control of Robot Manipulators
- J.J. Craig: Introduction to robotics, Mechanics and control
- Tsai, Lung-Wen: Robot analysis : the mechanics of serial and parallel manipulators
- J-J. E. Slotine and W. Li: Applied Nonlinear Control
- M. Lesser: The Analysis of Complex Nonlinear Mechanical Systems, a computer algebra assisted approach
Sotware toolsThrough the course the Matlab Robotics Toolbox by Peter I. Corke is used to implement the theory. Other software tools that can be used are Dymola (to implement the Modelica standard) and Mathematica or Maple. Modelica, Mathematica and Maple can all be used in the modeling step described above.
Links to robot manufacturers
- ABB Robotics
- KUKA Robotics, German company.
- Adept Technology, SCARA robots and more.
- Motoman, a Yaskawa company (Japanese)
- Fanuc, a Japanese company
Informationsansvarig: Mikael Norrlöf
Senast uppdaterad: 2023-08-27